Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Buretrol Basics 101




So I was asked if I knew how the buretrol worked because my preceptor could see I was fumbling with it, I gave her a hesitant "yes..." to which she responded, "Do I intimidate you?" Of course I responded in the negative when I probably should have said "Yes, all of my preceptors intimidate me."  I digress.

So here is what I know about the Buretrol.  Feel free to add your own comments below. You have probably all seen this contraption during your heart rotation (maybe this is more for myself and my posterity).  They are more commonly used for pediatric patients to limit the amount of fluid given to peds. I also read that they were used before pumps were available.

At the heart institute we give amicar and protamine through the buretrol. The buretrol should never be turned upside down. Also, if you want to draw fluid from tubing below the buretrol you must go very slowly otherwise it will pull a fair amount of air into the tubing. It is a better idea to just get fluid from another line if one is available. To empty the buretrol (and not withdraw fluid from the bag above) clamp the tubing between the bag and the buretrol and open the vent on the top of the buretrol making sure the tubing distal to the buret is unclamped. To fill the buretrol you can either inject directly into the buret through the male luer lock on top or open the vent and allow fluid to run from the IV bag to the buret with the tubing clamped distal to the buret.

I know this isn't rocket science but there you have it... Buretrol Basics 101.

3 comments:

  1. One thing you might add to this is that when you inject protamine or amicar or other drips into the buretrol, make sure the clamp is off to the N/S bag, otherwise the drug will run into the bag and you will need to run the whole 500cc into the pt to deliver the dose. then your instructor will yell at you. #memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex and I have looked into this more and we believe that the above comment is in fact not true. It is very unlikely that fluid can transfer from the clave port back up into the IV bag simply because the outlet terminals of each conduit are physically separate and empty into the buretrol at a distance of about 1-2 cm apart from each other. While this finding has not been proven scientifically we believe it is publishable information.

      Delete